Classical Dance – Deepa Ramanathan
Deepa has trained in Bharatanatyam for over fifteen years under Guru Dr. Srithika Kasturirangan, founder of ‘Sri Kala Ranga School of Dance’ and disciple of Dr. Ambika Kameshwar. Having done her Arangetram in 2013, Deepa has choreographed and played the lead role in several group productions conducted by her dance school. She has also performed as a soloist at prestigious Sabhas and dance festivals in South India. Deepa teaches Bharatanatyam to beginner and intermediate level students in her dance school.
Having worked as a Creative Movement Educator in schools across Chennai, her passion lies in enriching people’s lives through movement. Deepa has a keen interest in improvisational theatre and works with The Little Theatre, Chennai.
She believes that as a dancer it’s important to be versatile and hence has completed four grades in Modern Jazz, certified by the Commonwealth Society of Teachers of Dancing, Australia. She also participated in a three-month dance intensive at the Terence Lewis Contemporary Dance Company, Mumbai. Deepa is a Post-Graduate in Creative Communication from Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad.
- Principal dancer and senior dance (Bharatanatyam) instructor at Sri Kala Ranga School of Dance.
- Worked as a Creative Movement Specialist with Fitkids Education and Training Pvt. Ltd. enabling children to discover their creative potential, using movement as a medium of expression.
- Completed four grades in Modern Jazz, certified by the Commonwealth Society of Teachers of Dancing, Australia.
- Collaborated with prominent musicians from the Indian Raga platform and conceptualised, choreographed and performed in the “Carnatic 2.0 – Reloaded” show at Music Academy in 2019.
- Given solo and duet performances in the Margam format under prestigious Sabhas such as Kartik Fine Arts, Brahma Gana Sabha, Bharatham Festival during the Margazhi dance season in Chennai. Performed in the prestigious Natyanjali festival held in Chidambaram in 2014.
- Choreographed and played the lead role in several thematic dance-drama productions conducted under Sri Kala Ranga School of Dance, such as Ashtalakshmi, Pancha Bhoota Sthalam, Krsna and Skanda. Also performed in group productions organised by Dr. Ambika Kameshwar.
- Worked with The Little Theatre, Chennai, as an actor in their Annual Christmas Pantomime and ‘The Little Festival’ – Chennai’s first international theatre festival for young audiences. Organised and facilitated Theatre Summer Camps for children between the ages of 7 and 15 years.
- Attended workshops by eminent gurus such as Priyadarshini Govind, Rama Vaidhyanathan, Rukmini Vijayakumar, Terence Lewis, Stefano Fardelli.